The spring season, which is starting to make itself felt, makes most of us happy. However, for allergy sufferers, bees hovering around the colorful blooms in spring can cause serious life-threatening problems. Symptoms due to bee allergy stings are usually local (regional) or systemic. Bee allergy can lead to more serious pictures such as anaphylaxis, especially in those who have other allergic diseases such as allergic rhinitis, asthma and eczema before. If complaints such as urticaria, angioedema, shortness of breath, dizziness, and fainting occur due to a bee sting, an allergist should be consulted.

Bee allergy is a treatable allergy by allergists. Therefore, it must be seen and evaluated by allergy specialists.

What should patients with bee allergies do before going to the doctor?

One of the most important points for treatment after a bee sting is to determine the type of bee. The distinction between honey bees and wild bees is very important. Knowing which bee was stung by the patient will guide the diagnosis and treatment.

Before going to the allergist, some drugs, antihistamines, antidepressants, cough medicines and some painkillers should be discontinued 1 week before.

Patients who experience anaphylactic shock after a bee sting can be tested after at least 6 weeks. Tests performed more than 6 weeks ago do not give accurate results.

Major local reactions and systemic reactions due to bee allergy should be evaluated by allergy physicians as they may herald later anaphylactic shock.