Alternative treatments for allergic rhinitis, allergic rhinitis is one of the most common allergic diseases in children. Allergic rhinitis affects the quality of life of children. Therefore, it must be treated. In the treatment of allergic rhinitis, there are alternative treatment methods, also known as complementary therapy, that can be used in addition to prevention therapy, drug therapy, allergy vaccine therapy.
Alternative Treatment Use for Allergic Rhinitis
According to recent studies, the use of alternative treatments varies between 25% and 50%. Alternative treatments used so frequently are not evidence-based. The effectiveness of alternative treatments has not been supported by the latest available evidence.
Herbal Treatment in Alternative Treatments
There are studies that find some herbal treatments helpful in allergic rhinitis. These herbal treatments can have harmful effects and can interact with the medications used. In addition, herbal treatments are not standardized to be safe and may contain harmful substances.
The preparation method, dosage, ingredients and active substances of World Health Organization herbal medicines and mixtures must be clearly defined. As a result, herbal medicines are not recommended due to their ineffectiveness in reducing the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, the possibility of interaction with other drugs and the risk of side effects.
Alternative Treatments for Allergic Rhinitis
- There is not enough evidence in the studies to show that acupuncture is definitely effective in allergic rhinitis. It is not recommended as it may have harmful effects.
- There are studies that find it helpful and those that find it useless. Homeopathy treatment is not recommended for children with allergic rhinitis today.
- There are studies reporting that rhinophototherapy treatment is beneficial in the treatment of allergic rhinitis. However, new studies are needed for its use in each patient.
- Probiotics are not recommended for the treatment of allergic rhinitis.
- In the treatment of allergic rhinitis, rinsing the nose with physiological saline may be beneficial when exposed to pollen, especially during the pollen season.
- Pollen blocking creams can be used in the treatment of allergic rhinitis during the pollen season.
- In the treatment of allergic rhinitis, wearing glasses and wearing a mask can be beneficial, especially during the pollen season.
As a result;
Herbal therapy, acupuncture, homeopathy, rhinophototherapy, probiotic therapy are not recommended in the treatment of allergic rhinitis.
As a complementary treatment in the treatment of allergic rhinitis, it may be beneficial and recommended to use pollen blocking cream, mask, wearing glasses and washing the nose with saline, during the pollen season.